GLUTTONY / MEDICI AND THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS
VILLA POGGIO A CAIANO
/ A LITTLE KNOWN TREASURE JUST OUTSIDE FLORENCE /
Gluttony is a sin that makes people consume more than one requires and in Medieval times it was perceived as the sin of kings and princes. Therefore, in order to avoid being seen as such, the Medici always tried to give the impression their diet was poor to the point of being monastic. Cosimo and Lorenzo used to say they only ate some bread and cheese, and even the wedding parties they threw were so meager their friends complained there was not enough food on the plates. However, things took a different turn in the 16th century when the Medici public image and power took off and so did their appetite! Endless feasts with bountiful menus, such as rabbits covered in gold leaves, peacock sausages, tons of artichokes and all sorts of desserts started to appear on the table.
In order to better understand the Medici’s relationship to food, we will take you to the marvellous Villa di Poggio a Caiano, in the middle of the Tuscan countryside, where Lorenzo and his family used to live, relax and enjoy the quiet atmosphere of the heavenly gardens.
In the splendid rooms of the Villa, you will discover the secret food passions of Catherine de’ Medici, Pope Leo X and the insatiable Prince Ferdinand. You will also have the chance to visit a unique place, the Museum of Still Life, an unparalleled feast for the eyes, displaying all the paintings the Medici commissioned to celebrate their food! To top it all off, we will delight you with secret and delicious Renaissance recipes to offer your most beloved guests. Guaranteed to make your mouth water!
Prices per person
Here below you can check our prices per person.
Maximum number of participants: 8.
Up to 2 people: 75€ per person
Group of 3 people: 55€ per person
Group of 4 people: 45€ per person
Group of 5 people: 38€ per person
Group of 6 people: 35€ per person
Group of 7 people: 32€ per person
Group of 8 people: 30€ per person
Group of 10 people: 26€ per person
Group of 15 people: 20€ per person
- Pick-up at your apartment in the center of Florence
- Bus trip to Poggio a Caiano with our guide
- Visit of the Villa Medicea di Poggio a Caiano
- Visit of the Museum of Still Life in Poggio a Caiano
- 2.5 hours guided tour (either in English, Spanish or Italian), that will allow you to see the following:
- The inspiring Renaissance architecture of the Villa di Poggio a Caiano
- The grand frescoes in Leo X’s room
- A mysterious glazed terracotta frieze showing a complicated allegory
- The Still Lives
- The Renaissance garden, and lots of other juicy bits! Indulge…
- There is no meal included in this visit
- The ticket for the mean of transport to Poggio a Caiano is not included in the price
- The guide will go with you, however you will have to pay the bus ticket to Poggio a Caiano
- The guided tour is available only in the indicated languages (English, Spanish, Italian) and not in any other languages
- Given the distance from Florence, this tour can only be purchased in the “Single Sin” formula, and not in the “Half day Package” formula