GREED / SAN MARCO + SAN LORENZO TOUR
Museum of San Marco
San Lorenzo Church
Michelangelo’s Biblioteca Laurenziana
SAN MARCO MUSEUM AND SAN LORENZO CHURCH
/ MEDICI FAMILY AND THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS /
Greed is the desire for material things and excessive wealth.
In Dante’s Inferno, the greedy were condemned to push huge weights with their chests, which symbolized the selfish drive for fortune during their lifetime. But it gets worse. The greedy usurers, those who profited from other people’s labour by lending money, were severely punished by Medieval laws with death by hanging and could even be refused burial in holy grounds.
Cosimo the Elder, his father Giovanni di Bicci and his grandson Lorenzo the Magnificent were probably the most notorious moneylenders of the 14th and 15th centuries, but nobody dared contrast their power nor accuse them of criminal behaviour. How did they manage to get away with the terrible sin of greed and the consequences it inevitably brought?
In this fully-guided tour on the origins of the wealth and power of the Medici Bank, we will take you to two significant places which exemplify the bizzarre relationship between art, money and the Medici: the Museum of San Marco and the Church of San Lorenzo. We will read the architecture, the paintings and the tombs Cosimo and his descendants commissioned to give you an insight into the cunning strategy the Medici had devised in order to be the richest men in Europe and yet remain invisibile…
Prices per person
Here below you can check our prices per person.
Maximum number of participants: 15.
Up to 2 people: 85€ per person
Group of 3 people: 65€ per person
Group of 4 people: 55€ per person
Group of 5 people: 50€ per person
Group of 6 people: 46€ per person
Group of 7 people: 44€ per person
Group of 8 people: 42€ per person
Group of 10 people: 38€ per person
Group of 15 people: 33€ per person
- Pick-up at your apartment in the center of Florence
- Ticket to the the Museum of San Marco and the Church of San Lorenzo for the day of the visit
- 2.5 hours guided tour (either in English, Spanish or Italian), that will allow you to see the following:
- The frescoes of San Marco and the breathtaking works by Beato Angelico, the sublime painter of the Renaissance
- The cells where Savonarola and Cosimo used to pray
- Donatello’s tribunes
- Brunelleschi’s architectural wonders
- The Old Sacristy and the Crypt of San Lorenzo
- The Medici treasures
- Michelangelo’s Biblioteca Laurenziana
- There is no meal included in this visit
- There is no mean of transport included from the apartment to the museum (the guide will walk with you to the museum)
- The guided tour is available only in the indicated languages (English, Spanish, Italian) and not in any other languages